Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Just Like Nonna's: the story of how a New Yorker got hooked on Orange coffee

The snow this morning in New York City left me longing for a good cappuccino…one that can only be found in our very own Orange!
How did a NYC girl get hooked on Orange coffee? It all started with U of O’s Urbanism course. After one of the lectures, I was jonesing for some caffeine. Mindy, ever the perceptive one, saw the bit of crazy in my eyes and said, “you know, there’s a great cappuccino place on the way to the train station”.
And thus began my love affair of cappuccinos from “Just Like Nonna's”
I have no pictures, only the sweet sweet memory of the cappuccino made with love!
The first time I went in, I felt like I was walking into someone’s kitchen. The plastic tablecloths, the TV on with Rachel Ray, the small and cozy atmosphere….I was home! After watching a bit of TV with those working there and commenting on Ray’s outfit, I was given 12 ounces of goodness: the espresso strong enough without being bitter, the amount of foam just enough to offset the coffee…..I was in heaven.
The next time I went to Orange, I decided to see what else Nona’s had to offer. I chose the tiramasu to go, and after reaching my apartment in NYC, I pulled it out of my backpack, and began to eat some of what was the best tiramasu I have ever had. Now readers, I have to let you know that I have been to Italy, and thus have tiramasu FROM THE SOURCE. It did NOT match up to Nonas! For only $2, I got a hug in a box….in the form of cream, chocolate powder, and ladyfingers. YUM.
Now, I’m trying to find any chance I can to make it back to Orange…….

Just Like Nonna's
130 Lincoln Ave
Orange, NJ 07050
(in the heart of Orange's Little Italy)
973-677-1888

No comments:

Post a Comment